About this Show

Piers Morgan Tonight

News/Business. (2013)

NETWORK
CNN

DURATION
01:00:00

RATING

SCANNED IN
San Francisco, CA, USA

SOURCE
Comcast Cable

TUNER
Virtual Ch. 759 (CNN HD)

VIDEO CODEC
mpeg2video

AUDIO CODEC
ac3

PIXEL WIDTH
1920

PIXEL HEIGHT
1080

TOPIC FREQUENCY

America 13, Dick Morris 11, Us 10, Chris Christie 7, Sandy 7, Kerry Kennedy 6, Scott Walker 4, Aflac 4, Cnn 4, Joe Biden 4, Romney 3, Boehner 3, Bill Clinton 3, Simon Cowell 3, Tony Bennett 3, Obama 3, Texas 3, Kanye West 3, Caribbean 3, T. Rowe 2,
Borrow a DVD
of this show
  CNN    Piers Morgan Tonight    News/Business.  (2013)  

    February 6, 2013
    9:00 - 9:59pm PST  

9:00pm
9:01pm
now he is here interview tok about where he and the gop went so badly wrong. plus, stars target guns, celebrities storm capitol hill. no one knows the tragic toll of gun violence better than kerry kennedy. >> i was 4 years old when my uncle, president kennedy, was killed by a man with a gun. and i was 8 years old when my father too was gunned down. >> she joins me live. also the gun advocate who says it's time to tone down the rhetoric.
9:02pm
plus, on the eve of the grammys the starmaker behind justin bieber, rihanna and kanye west, l.a. reid. >> incredible moment, kanye west in my office, rapping his entire album to me just like we're sitting here. right? >> this is "piers morgan tonight." good evening. on a day when celebrities from chris rock to amanda peet to tony bennett are speaking out on gun control we've got a big conversation tonight on guns in america with kerry kennedy talking about losing her father to an assassin's bullets and a gun advocate who says the best defense against a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun. that's coming up in a few moments. but listen now to an emotional minute -- moment from vice president joe biden talking about gun control at a speech in lee's bow, virginia today. >> the image of those beautiful young children, 6 and 7 years old, literally riddled, riddled
9:03pm
with bullet holes, lying in their classroom, all of us 54 days ago watching -- watching those families and only imagining we could be in the same spot in panic running around that park lot and over that firehouse and wondering, my god, my god, am i -- my god. since that day, 54 days ago, 1,600 americans have died at the end of a gun. >> powerful stuff from joe biden. we'll have more on the gun debate in a few moments. we begin tonight with a political fail heard around the world. just before the election dick morris, former political guru to bill clinton, predicted a landslide victory for mitt romney. a landslide. well, we all know how that turned out. dick morris, how are you?
9:04pm
>> well, i'm a little battered and bleeding, but -- >> before we go any further, let's watch a bit of the moment you never want to relive. this is one of your great predictions. >> going to win by a landslide. the -- it will be the biggest surprise in recent american political history. it will rekindle a whole question as to why the media played this race as a nail-biter where in fact i think romney's going to win by quite a bit. my own view is that romney is going to carry 325 electoral votes. >> i mean, look, to be honest with you, i feel painful listening to that. god knows how you feel. i mean, with hindsight, were you bluffing? did you believe this? or is there any rational explanation for why you got it so wrong? >> oh, i absolutely believed it. and so did a lot of people. rasmussen and gallup both predicted a romney victory. and piers, cnn had a 47/47 tie race in its final poll 48 hours before the polls opened.
9:05pm
>> what do you think about that guy nate silver? all he did was crunch the numbers. right? and he got it bang on from start to finish. how can a pundit who is as experienced as you, with great respect, be so wrong where this guy just sits on his computer crunching numbers and data and gets it completely right? >> well, fiorello laguardia when he was mayor of new york said i don't make many mistakes but when i make one it's a butte. and this one was a beaut. over my life, piers, 1995 i predicted clinton would win. and i brought him back. nobody else said he could. 2000 i said bush was going it win. '04 i said bush was going to win. '06 i said the republicans are going to lose both houses. '08 i predicted an obama win -- >> you're making this sound well like you've been one of the world's great pundits. but i have -- >> and in 2010 i was the only person that said the republicans would pick up 60 to 80 seats. >> but dick, as you know, you've also dropped some other
9:06pm
clangors. and we have a little roll call here. let's watch this. >> i believe the republicans will win 60 to 80 seats in the house, and i personally believe it could go higher. i think they're going to definitely win nine seats in the senate. and there are two that may fall, giving us the majority. >> there's going to be a government shutdown just like in '95 and '96. but we're going to win it this time. >> ohio is overrated. he can win and will win. pennsylvania, wisconsin and a very good shot in minnesota. that's a little iffy. and he'll never even have to think twice about ohio. but he's going to win ohio. >> so are you going to sue me? i said that he was going to win 60 to 80 seats in the house. we did. nobody else said that. and i said we're going to win nine seats -- >> well, the republicans picked up 63 seats. >> 68. and i said we were going to win nine seats in the senate. the republicans won six and three of the losses were by less than a point. so come on.
9:07pm
look, the basic -- >> but you know as well as i do. here's the point. here's the overview. you know as well as i do, you got let go by fox yesterday, huge blaze of attention to this. and it must have been humiliating for you, because people have latched on this, they've been playing all this stuff, and they've been trying to make out you are as this particular business insider poll noted, someone who described you as the worst pundit of 2012. you know this. and you know that people are laughing at you, mocking you, and so on. how does that make you feel given you've been so respected for so long until this period? >> well, i have gotten 30 senators and governors elected. 14 presidents and prime ministers. the president of the united states twice. and -- one and a half, i worked with others in the first go-around. so i'm okay on that score. but the real issue is why did romney lose? well, the immediate answer is the storm. and i wrote a column showing you
9:08pm
four days before election day entitled in the last few hours -- >> you mean hurricane sandy? >> yeah. "in the last few hours sudden danger signs in polling." saying that obama could be coming back because of the storm. the fact of the matter is that before hurricane sandy started obama was trailing mitt romney in gallup and rasmussen and virtually all the major polling because he had lost the first debate, not recovered in the second, and gotten a little bit better in the third. and nobody could tell the impact of sandy. 15% of the voters made up their minds in the last 72 hours. and they cited sandy as number one. >> it wasn't just sandy. when the numbers finally came in for obama, he just cleaned romney's clock. i mean, he did. and unfortunately for you guys, it was a really bad beating in the end. it wasn't even close. it wasn't a nail-biter. it wasn't a surprise. obama ran in the end clear l. a much better campaign. and you can't just honestly, dick, blame a storm and say that swung it completely to obama.
9:09pm
obama was going to win without the storm. >> i prefer to believe that cnn's polling was accurate. wouldn't you? >> i think all the polls should be taken with a large pinch of salt. i really do. and i think that nate silver actually was the guy -- >> but he doesn't work for cnn. >> he doesn't. but we had him on this show three or four times in that period and nate silver kept looking at me in the eye and saying all the pundits are wrong, all the polls are misleading. obama's going to win this easily. he was doing it from pure number crunching. >> the question is why obama won by such a margin. and i think the answer is that there has been a fundamental demographic shift in the united states. and i thought that it had surfaced in '08 because of a charismatic candidate. then i thought it would go back down again. and it did in '10. they didn't show up. but in '12 they showed up again in huge numbers. and 8 million whites stayed home. and i think the republican party has got to change in fundamental ways, otherwise we'll never win another election. >> here's -- okay. i agree with you.
9:10pm
and i think many people agree with that. but you got turfed out of fox yesterday, which people are interpreting, along with sarah palin being turfed out, as a repudiation of that style of republican front person, if you like. what do you say to that? was that why fox let you go? >> no. fox -- >> and what does that mean for the party and your involvement with it at all? some people will say, we don't care what dick morris has to say. he's irrelevant now. >> the last guy that was called irrelevant was bill clinton in '95. the point is that these changes are fundamental and we need to recognize them and adjust to them. that does not mean we back off from our core principles. now that the taxes have been raised on rich people, you've got a simple fight with obama, more spending against less, more debt against less, and the republicans can win that fight. but they've got to start victimize -- stop victimizing latinos and women. start with the latinos. they're a republican voter base. that group is going to vote like all the other immigrant groups
9:11pm
do, as they move up, they'll become more republican. and i know because i ran the last two successful presidential campaigns in mexico. and in both of them the conservative, fox and calderon, won. and they are pro family, anti-debt, and incredibly worried about illegitimacy and crime and all that. but they feel that the republican party hates them. >> why -- >> and the rubio bill has got to pass for them -- for the republicans ever to access that vote. >> what people are asking is why are fox not interested now in your views on where the republican party should go? >> i don't know what fox is interested in or not. >> they must have told you. >> well, i had a wonderful talk with roger a yles, who i really respect a week ago. he said in this business, you're up, you're down, nothing is final or fatal. >> why are you down now? >> because i was wrong, and i was wrong at the top of my lungs. the other part of this is women. >> but there are -- >> we have to get rid -- >> hang on a minute. let's just -- people are interested in this, you know that. they fired you because you were
9:12pm
wrong. but a lot of people on fox were calling it wrong. why you? why have you been singled out? >> i don't know. why don't you invite them and ask? >> but do you know the answer? >> no, i don't. i don't. i think that i was wrong at the top of my lungs. maybe i'm being made a poster child for that. >> do you resent the decision? >> look, fox has given me the opportunity of a lifetime. 15 years, 3,000 interviews. and at some point a great marriage has to come to an end. >> it's got to annoy you that karl rove gets to stay, though, doesn't it? >> piers -- >> he was a guy saying the election result on the night was wrong. they had to stand up and make him -- megan kelly had to stop running down the corridor. >> the divorce isn't final, but i am seeing other people. >> and i'm very grateful you are. what's interesting about fox news is their ratings have really plummeted since the election. really quite dramatically. down 22% in the key demographic. in january. the lowest demo number since july 2008.
9:13pm
and in prime time down 40% in the demo. its lowest demo number since may 2006. it seems from the outside, and they would do this to us, that fox have got some real problems right now. and one of the reasons is that they just called this election so badly wrong. and they may have driven the party and mitt romney down the wrong alley. >> well, apart from whether you blame fox or not, i'm not going to get into that. but i believe that the republicans were horribly hurt among women by the crazy extremists who said that rape won't make you pregnant and it's an act of god. on the other hand, democrats are hurt by those who say third trimester abortions are fine. we have to understand what bill clinton said. abortion should be rare. and we have to understand that we're not going to be overturned by the court. roe is not going anyplace while obama's president. republicans should say let's all work together on steps to reduce the number of abortions because none of us think it's good.
9:14pm
>> but the party should -- >> and the thing -- let me just finish. >> but it's an interesting point you're make. should the party stand then for a woman's right to choose whilst trying to keep the numbers low? is that what you're saying? >> no. i'm saying they're not going to do that and that's their paep and it's a deeply held belief. >> where does the party stand? what's the republican position then? >> pro life. >> and yet you're not talking about abolishing it. you're talking about keeping abortion but at a lower level. that's not pro life. >> let me talk about what i'm talking about. when bill clinton took office there were 1.4 million abortions. now there are 700,000. because of adoption procedures, counseli counseling, birth control, notification. >> i'm trying to work out what your position is, dick -- >> the republican party needs to make abortion illegal to making it rare. >> right. when you say turning it from illegal to rare, what you're moving from is pro life to pro choice in the debate. and you know that. you can't be -- you're either
9:15pm
or. you either believe it should be illegal or you believe it shouldn't. and if you don't you have moved your position as a party. >> i believe as a practical matter with the republican party if they focus on overturning roe they're whistling in the wind and they know that. >> right. as a party's position, and they've got to be very clear about this so that the women you're talking about who feel disenfranchised by the party know exactly what they stand for, what you're saying is they need to move from pro life to pro choice, albeit trying to reduce the numbers? >> yeah. >> is that right? >> no, you're not. >> explain to me why i'm wrong. >> i much prefer my own words coming out of my mouth. >> explain to me why i'm wrong. >> because the issue is that it is not a theoretical debate as to whether roe will ever be overturned. that we've had 40 years of republicans dominating the court and it hasn't been. this is a theoretical issue that should not be allowed to determine an election. americans can come together,
9:16pm
eschewing the extremes on this issue, and focusing in a workman-like, practical way at reducing the incidence of abortion. you know that teen pregnancy is down by 42%? abortion is cut in half. those are positive steps because of policies that clinton and bush put into effect. about notification and counseling and all of that. >> would you support gay marriage? should the party embrace it now given so many states are moving that way? >> my view on gay marriage is that if a state decides to go for gay marriage, the legislature or the voters, that's great, that's up to them. i've got no problem with it. >> what's your personal view? >> i don't believe the court should jam it down anybody's throat. >> what's your view? >> if people want it they should be able to do it, but it's got to be a decision of the community. >> when i hear you speak, it's interesting to me. i hear you speak, and i hear you basically saying, look, with abortion we need to move from pro life as people call it, although i don't like that phrase. i don't think it's either/or in that sense. pro life to an acceptance that's going to exist to try to reduce the numbers.
9:17pm
gay marriage going from an anti-gay marriage position to yes, we should accept this and it should be state decision -- >> when the people approve it. >> the republican party has to make its mind up as a party. >> yeah. >> it can't have endless people on both sides ripping each other's position apart so that people -- sadly when it comes to an election go what do they actually stand for? >> what we do stand for, republicans do stand for, and it's becoming very clear, and we need to be much stronger on this, is holding down spending and debt. john boehner has to be seen in a new light. he's no longer the leader of the republicans in the house. he's a kind of coalition speaker. a little bit like ramsey mcdonald, the former prchl britain, who after the labour members all ran out on him stayed in office buoyed up by the conservatives. boehner now speaks for all the democrats and a handful of republicans. and the regular republicans vote against his position and he's okay with it and they're okay with it because they can go back home and say i opposed higher taxes. >> should boehner -- should he be replaced?
9:18pm
>> well, i don't -- a fight of that sort now would be destructive. but i believe that boehner and the republicans need to reclaim their fundamental legacy. which is if there was ever a time when we can understand that big spending and borrowing and ratifying it by higher taxes is going to destroy the american economy just like it's destroyed the economies of japan and europe. and we have to rally behind that, and what is stopping that is that latinos and women feel they can't join the republican party even though they agree with it because it's excluding them. >> final question. i want a one-word or two-word answer. who would you most like to see leading the party into the next election? it can be a surname, a first name. >> scott walker. >> scott walker? interesting call. dick morris, good to see you. you can always come back here to cnn. we're not going to ban you or fire you. good to see you. coming up later we'll have an all-star panel after the break talking about what dick morris just said about the future of the republican party
9:19pm
and later kerry kennedy joins me live to talk about guns in america. [ male announcer ] how can power consumption in china, impact wool exports from new zealand, textile production in spain, and the use of medical technology in the u.s.? at t. rowe price, we understand the connections of a complex, global economy. it's just one reason over 75% of our mutual funds beat their 10-year lipper average. t. rowe price. invest with confidence. request a prospectus or summary prospectus with investment information, risks, fees and expenses
9:20pm
to read and consider carefully before investing. pretty sweet, huh? cute. but don't you have any apps on your phone that can make your life easier? who do you think i am, quicken loans? at quicken loans, we'll provide you with myql mobile. this amazingly useful app allows you to take pictures of your mortgage documents using an iphone or android smart phone... so you can easily send them to us. one more way quicken loans is engineered to amaze. ooh, la-la!
9:21pm
joining me now are two people who likely disagree about what dick morris just had to say. or maybe they'll surprise us all rather like mitt romney surprised dick morris. van jones, cnn contributor and former white house official. elyse jordan, former speechwriter for condoleezza rice. let's start with you. some extraordinary stuff there from dick morris.
9:22pm
i think the headlines for me were he blamed hurricane sandy for why he had been so wrong about the romney landslide. he clearly had no time for john boehner. he thinks scott walker should be the next republican leader, and he saws he was basically kicked out of fox for being wrong at the top of his lungs. where do you start with all that? >> i thought he was graceful, first of all. i give him a lot of credit for -- i thought he was being very honest. let's go to his contention about hurricane sandy being a game changer. it was over a long time ago for mitt romney. i think the debate, president obama's poor performance in the first debate gave glimmers of hope to the republican party. it made the race much more interesting for the pundit class. but ultimately it was just a very bad campaign for mitt romney. >> one of the problems i thought, van, was interesting talking to dick morris about social issues is that even when i discuss them with him now i still couldn't really work out what his position was. and this seemed to me to cut to the quick of the republican problem throughout the last
9:23pm
year. particularly in the nominee race. was what do these guys actually stand for collectively? on abortion he seemed to be saying, look, we can't be pro life anymore, we've got to be sort of pro choice, but we're not going to admit we're pro choice. i didn't understand it. >> well, if only it were only him with that problem. right now what you see is a republican party in real disarray. they've backed themselves into this sort of demographic cul-de-sac and they're trying to play around with different words to see if somehow if i can just say this word differently, that word differently that'll be the magic key that will get me out of this corner. that's not their problem. the problem is you have a big chunk of america now, the governing majority of america has felt excluded and disrespected by this party for a very long time. they now also apparently believe they can just get an immigration bill passed all will be right with the world. that's not true either. if you look at the numbers of young latinos and young african-americans, which by the way he didn't even ta about african-americans, the numbers are in the 60, 70%, 80%.
9:24pm
it's very hard to come back from that. and i think that dick morris is a symptom. the dick morris that you saw on fox, before he got on your show, the reasonable dick morris, is a symptom of something deeply wrong in the republican party in disarray, detached from reality, trying to find its way back. >> yeah. and i think there's certainly an argument that is the case. that's presumably why fox let him go, isn't it? let's turn to his pronouncement of scott walker as the potential runner for the republicans in 2016. i want to play a clip from chris christie. this is him responding to a former white house physician who claimed on cnn she was worried chris christie could die in office. listen to what chris christie had to say about that today. >> this is just another hack who wants five minutes on tv. and it's completely irresponsible. completely irresponsible. my children saw that last night. and she sat there on tv and said, i'm afraid he's going to die in office. i have four children between 9 and 19.
9:25pm
you know, i have my children -- my 12-year-old son comes to me last night and said, "dad, are you going to die?" i mean, come on. this is irresponsible stuff. >> well, i totally agree with him. and b, elyse, i think that this obsession with chris christie's weight -- i've rarely met a politician with more drive and energy than chris christie. he knows he's got a problem with the weight. i know he's trying to lose the weight because he's told me himself. why do we care so much about it? he's done an amazing job in the last few months. so much so he's the most popular politician in the country. >> well, i think it's me, own -- our obsession with weight. and just in our country with -- you're from london, uk. like our obsession with genetically processed foods and all that. i think america does have a weight obsession. separate of that i think chris christie is the future of the republican party and i couldn't embrace him more wholeheartedly. look at his performance during the hurricane. i love the way he is frank, straightforward, he says what he thinks. and he's just practical and pragmatic, and speaks with a lot
9:26pm
of common sense. >> i mean, van, to me it's a bit of a non-issue, this. i just think he's a very popular guy. and even today i can imagine many americans watching his reaction going, good on you. take her down. >> yeah. i can understand that. listen, first of all, everybody loves this governor right now. and you know, he's fresh, he's frank. but i think he's got to be a little bit careful. he didn't have to attack her motives, call her a hack, tell her to shut up. those kinds of things may play well at this stage of his career. while he's still kind of establishing. but you start thinking about do you want a commander in chief who when a doctor makes an observation that frankly every american has made in the quiet of their own hearts, gee, can this guy actually pull this off? he's president. can he do it? can he physically do it? the doctor says what my doctor told me, watch your weight, and he calls her a hack. i don't think that's presidential. it's funny. it's interesting. it's not presidential. he's got to watch that i think. >> i think if somebody went on tv and told my kids who were
9:27pm
watching i was going to die because i ate too many big macs or donuts i would call them a hack too. so i'm lending my full support, my full weight. not quite as much as his. but it's enough. my considerable girth behind chris christie. i think he's a force for good in this country. i wish more politicians spoke from the heart like he does. anyway, van jones and elise jordan, thank you both very much. when we come back, she lost her father sxunk'll to gun violence. now kerry kennedy demands a plan on gun control. yeah, they're the worst. [ caribbean accent ] no worries, mon. every-ting will be alright. [ chuckles ] yeah, mon. come on! don't fret, me brotha. sticky bun come soon. ♪ yeah, wicked coffee, mista jim! julia, turn da frown de other way around! hey, dave, you're from minnesota, right? yes, i! da land of ten thousand lakes. the gopher state! so in conclusion, things are pretty dismal... you know what this room needs?
9:28pm
a smile. who want to come with i? [ jimmy cliff's "c'mon, get happy" plays ] ♪ you guys are three minutes late. [ caribbean accent ] don't be no cloud on a sunny day! [ caribbean accent ] yeah, chill, winston. sir? respect boss man! [ laughter ] [ male announcer ] that's the power of german engineering. [ male announcer ] it's red lobster's 30 shrimp! for $11.99 pair any two shrimp selections on one plate! like mango jalapeño shrimp and parmesan crunch shrimp. just $11.99. offer ends soon! i'm ryon stewart, and i sea food differently. is efficiently absorbed in small continuous amounts. citracal slow release continuously releases calcium plus d with efficient absorption in one daily dose. citracal slow release. so i used my citi thankyou card to pick up some accessories. a new belt.
9:29pm
some nylons. and what girl wouldn't need new shoes? and with all the points i've been earning, i was able to get us a flight to our favorite climbing spot even on a holiday weekend. ♪ things are definitely looking up. [ male announcer ] with no blackout dates, you can use your citi thankyou points to travel whenever you want. visit citi.com/thankyoucards to apply. [ male announcer ] make your escape... twice as rewarding. earn double points or double miles on all your hotel stays through march thirty first. sign up now at hiltondouble.com.
9:30pm
9:31pm
it's almost impossible to describe the pain of losing your father to a senseless murder or the anger and fear of knowing that that murder might have been avoided if only our leaders had acted to stop the silence. >> kerry kennedy speaking today at the demand a plan gun control event in washington. she's the president of the robert f. kennedy ceer for human rights. named of course for her late father. and kerry kennedy joins me now. welcome to you. thank you so much for coming on the show again. i want to start by playing, this is a clip of your father speaking after the assassination of martin luther king. it feels particularly poignant
9:32pm
to me to be playing this on the day that you made such a powerful speech. let's hear this. >> whenever any american's life is taken by another american unnecessarily, whether it is done in the name of the law or in defiance of the law, by one man or by a gang, in cold blood or in passion, in an attack of violence or in response to violence, whenever we tear at the fabric of our lives, which another man has painfully and clumsily woven for himself and his children, whenever we do this, then the whole nation is degraded. >> an extraordinarily evocative statement there, i thought, by your father. of course, horrifically, he himself was then assassinated a
9:33pm
few months later. since then 1 million americans have been killed by guns. and as joe biden said today, i think it's 1,600 more since sandy hook. what is going to be done about changing the culture? never mind specific weapons, but the culture of gun violence that has enveloped america. >> well, i -- you know, i think we have to really start with the laws. it wasn't until the laws on drunk driving were enforced before people really took that seriously. and i think we need to start with an assault weapons ban and a ban on the high-capacity magazines and the wonderful law that my open senator, kirsten gillibrand has offered on stopping trafficking, et cetera. i think we really have to start there. and then we need to look at our
9:34pm
society and say, what are we doing? you know, it's an important part of the american experience to teach your kid to ride a bike, to teach your kid to fish, and to teach your kid perhaps to shoot a rifle. that is part of the american experience for so many of us. but that is not what assault weapons are about, we're going in and trying to kill people. and we need to stop that. in this country. >> i felt that particularly strongly when i fired some of these weapons, including an ar-15 the other day in texas. and i was struck by the speed and power, and the ease they were to use. apart from anything else, the speed of the bullets terrified me. thinking about those in a closed environment like a school or a theater, as they've been used in recent atrocities. i want to play a couple of clips from tony bennett and chris rock at the same event you were at today who lent their support to this campaign. >> i still haven't gotten over
9:35pm
connecticut. i'd like the assault -- assault weapons to go to war not in our own country. and i'd like assault weapons eliminated. thank you. >> the president and the first lady are kind of like the mom and the dad of the country. and when your dad says something, you listen. and when you don't, it usually bites you in the ass later on. >> very serious and powerful from tony bennett. jock lar but making a good point from chris rock there, i felt. i mean, the truth is that the majority of americans support the ban on assault weapons. the latest cnn poll was 56% i think. the majority support universal background checks. the majority want these high-capacity clips to be banned. there is a will there. but is there a will amongst the politicians, kerry kennedy, to get this done?
9:36pm
>> well, we were up -- i was on capitol hill today and speaking to 15 members of congress, and all of whom have said that they are for this legislation. now, it's tough, because i think the nra is very, very strong and is very, very threatening. and you see that, if you haven't read the rolling stone article on the nra, it is really very eye opening. >> it is. >> i think, you know, one of the women who was there today, whose daughter was wounded in virginia tech, put it so eloquently when she said, you want to know what courage is? courage is standing in a classroom and seeing a guy with a gun and wondering what's going to happen to you and wondering if you're going to survive that moment and being 5 or 6 years old. courage is not standing up to the nra.
9:37pm
so i think, you know, really well put. let's get this into perspective. if you lose -- you know, if you lose your seat because you vote for this legislation and that saves a life, i think you've served well. you've served our country well. >> i could not put it better if i tried. kerry kennedy, thank you very much for joining me. >> thank you. coming up next, head to head with guns with an nra instructor and gun dealer on the other and mayors against guns on the other. now pour some chloroform into a white rag and.... no. hi. i understand you're looking for a hotel with a pool. with priceline express deals, you can save big and get exactly what you need. do i have to bid? use the stun gun. he's giving you lip. no! he's just asking a question. no bidding. awesome. get the grappling hook to... dad, i... no? ok.
9:38pm
with multiple lacerations to the wing and a fractured beak. surgery was successful, but he will be in a cast until it is fully healed, possibly several months. so, if the duck isn't able to work, how will he pay for his living expenses? aflac. like his rent and car payments? aflac. what about gas and groceries? aflac. cell phone? aflac, but i doubt he'll be using his phone for quite a while cause like i said, he has a fractured beak. [ male announcer ] send the aflac duck a get-well card at getwellduck.com.
9:39pm
[ male announcer ] send the aflac duck a get-well card i have obligations. cute tobligations, but obligations.g. i need to rethink the core of my portfolio. what i really need is sleep. introducing the ishares core, building blocks for the heart of your portfolio. find out why 9 out of 10 large professional investors choose ishares for their etfs. ishares by blackrock. call 1-800-ishares for a prospectus which includes investment objectives, risks, charges and expenses. read and consider it carefully before investing. risk includes possible loss of principal. why not talk to someone who owns an adjustable version of the most highly recommended bed in america? ask me about my tempur advanced ergo. goes up. goes up. ask me what it's like to get a massage anytime you want. goes down. goes down. [ male announcer ] tempur-pedic brand owners are more satisfied than owners of any traditional mattress brand. ergonomics. [ male announcer ] tempur-pedic. the most highly recommended bed in america. now save up to $400 on select tempur-pedic mattress sets. find out more at tempurpedic.com.
9:40pm
9:41pm
let's go right to our debate on guns in america. with me now is mark glaze, director of mayors against illegal guns and attorney, gun dealer, and nra instructor lendon eakin. welcome to you both. >> hi. thanks for having us. >> thank you, piers. >> let me start with you, if i may, lendon eakin. you're an nra member. you heard kerry kennedy there, her father was assassinated, her uncle was assassinated. two of the great political figures in modern times in america. a million americans have been shot with guns since then. what is your solution or idea for how to reduce gun violence in america?
9:42pm
>> well, the most important thing is to keep lethal weapons out of the hands of criminals and the mentally ill and people who would perpetrate that violence. i think the disagreement is over how to do that. >> what i keep hearing -- >> background checks and -- >> right. what i hear from people on the gun rights side a lot is they say we are entitled because the founding fathers intended this, to have the same weapons as our military. and i find that a ridiculous argument because if that was the case then you'd all be entitled to have drones and nuclear weapons. and i don't hear anybody calling for that. so there's clearly already a limitation on the kind of firearms you can have. what is the big deal in extending the limitation, in light of these mass shootings, to include assault weapons, assault rifles? >> well, the ar-15 is a civilian version of the military rifle and is widely owned legally by the civilian community right now. that makes it protected by the second amendment according to
9:43pm
the supreme court in the heller case and the miller case. and if we want to change that, we could, but i think we would need to amend the second amendment to modify it or repeal it to accomplish that legally. >> well, mark glaze, i mean, there are people now beginning to say, yes, maybe we should look as a nation at amending the second amendment again, and the reason -- or repealing it because the wording has been so open to interpretation that nobody seems quite sure what it means or what the founding fathers truly intended. >> well, look, it's always a tough task figuring out what the framers intended. but i don't think you need to rewrite the second amendment to do everything we need to keep guns out of the wrong hands. look, we know that justice scalia, not a fan of gun control we think, when he wrote in the heller decision that particularly dangerous weapons can be banned to protect public safety. and other laws can be passed like background checks, like restrictions on where you can
9:44pm
carry certain kinds of guns. all of those laws were deemed perfectly acceptable. the question is, how far does that right extend? and that's one of the conversations we're having now. but i don't think any of the proposals that's being debated in washington today even bumps up close to the constitutional line. >> see, lenden eakin, here's the thing. america didn't used to have drunk driving rules. and so many millions of americans used to drink and drive. and it killed a lot of americans. and america woke up one day collectively and went enough. and they brought in pretty tough laws about drunk driving. as a result, the number of americans killed by alcohol-related deaths in cars has absolutely plummeted. the argument's the same, i believe, with guns. is that you can't keep having 100,000 americans hit by gunfire a year. 18,000 committing suicide with guns. and 12,000 getting killed or murdered with guns. you can't just keep going like this. there's got to be a point when you say enough, what are we going to do? what weapons should stay in
9:45pm
civilian hands and what shouldn't? these ar-15s are killing machines. i used one in texas. and the idea of those being used by deranged young people in sandy hook elementary school with those poor kids, as joe biden so emotionally said today, it sickens me. and i just don't think it's enough to say want the right to go hog hunting with these. that doesn't supersede the right to stop kids getting killed with them. >> well, i don't disagree with that at all. we need to stop people from getting killed with them. unfortunately, those laws are already there and didn't work. but the constitutional argument the gentleman just made has a flaw in it. the wording is dangerous and unusual weapons may be restricted. and there's nothing unusual about an ar-15. our military and law enforcement have been training on them for 40 years, and all of us who have been through military training or law enforcement training are familiar with them, and comfortable with them.
9:46pm
and they're the proper weapon for common defense if we're going to stick to the constitution in its original purpose. of providing for the -- >> but even the owner of the texas gun store wir was at on monday said they were not the preferred weapon for defense, and the reason he cited was that they cause such tremendous damage with the bullets, they go through concrete, they go through walls. people get killed with them. i played golf with a los angeles surgeon the other day, who has to patch up the gang victims. he said the same thing. a lot of victims he treats are hit with ricocheted bullets from these ar-15s because the bullets go through walls. so they're killing machines. they are, as you put, it military weapons. they've just got to be banned, haven't they? what is the argument against banning them? >> well, they're not the military version. they're the civilian version. and you know the difference. you've fired them both. the argument against it is that if we as americans need to organize for our common defense they're the perfect weapon for us to have.
9:47pm
and if we're not going to use that weapon for our common defense, i think we need to modify the second amendment to comply with the supreme court case law. >> well, if the assault weapons ban came in that senator feinstein wants in, backed by the president, there would still be despite the assault weapons ban she recommends 2,200 guns legally obtainable to american civilians. you know what? that is enough. anyway, mark glaze and lenden eakin, thank you both very much. coming up next, l.a. reid talks x factor, simon cowell, whitney houston, and tells us his grammy predictions. she keeps you guessing.
9:48pm
it's part of what you love about her. but your erectile dysfunction - you know, that could be a question of blood flow. cialis tadalafil for daily use helps you be ready anytime the moment's right. you can be more confident in your ability to be ready. and the same cialis is the only daily ed tablet approved to treat ed and symptoms of bph, like needing to go frequently or urgently. tell your doctor about all your medical conditions and medications, and ask if your heart is healthy enough for sexual activity. do not take cialis if you take nitrates for chest pain, as this may cause an unsafe drop in blood pressure. do not drink alcohol in excess with cialis. side effects may include headache, upset stomach, delayed backache or muscle ache. to avoid long-term injury, seek immediate medical help for an erection lasting more than four hours. if you have any sudden decrease or loss in hearing or vision, or if you have any allergic reactions such as rash, hives, swelling of the lips, tongue or throat, or difficulty breathing or swallowing, stop taking cialis and get medical help right away. ask your doctor about cialis for daily use and a 30-tablet free trial.
9:49pm
begins with back pain and a choice. take advil, and maybe have to take up to four in a day. or take aleve, which can relieve pain all day with just two pills. good eye. which can relieve pain all day with just two pills. how do you keep an older car running like new? you ask a ford customer. when they tell you that you need your oil changed you got to bring it in. if your tires need to be rotated, you have to get that done as well. jackie, tell me why somebody should bring they're car here to the ford dealership for service instead of any one of those other places out there. they are going to take care of my car because this is where it came from. price is right no problem, they make you feel like you're a family. get a synthetic blend oil change, tire rotation and much more, $29.95 after $10.00 rebate. if you take care of your car your car will take care of you.
9:50pm
9:51pm
[ male announcer ] make your escape... twice as rewarding. earn double points or double miles on all your hotel stays through march thirty first. sign up now at hiltondouble.com. i was prepared to just rip you to shreds because doing a beatles song is very presumptuous as though you are teen heartthrobs like the beatles. and you actually are teen heartthrobs like the beatles. >> thank you. >> you may recognize l.a. reid as the judge next to simon cowell and britney spears on "x factor." but he's also chairman and ceo of e7ic records and has played a key role in recent successes of artists including kanye west, rihanna, bon jovi, pink, jennifer lopez, and a little phenomenon k5u8d justin bieber. this week l.a. will receive the icon award at the pre-grammy
9:52pm
gala, grammy salute to industry icons. welcome to you, icon. >> thank you. >> what does it feel like to be an icon? >> i'm not sure. it comes this weekend. it's a little bit scary, though, honestly because i feel like i'm -- i haven't arrived at that point in my career yet. i'm a little bit young for it, you know. >> of all your amazing successes with all these incredible artists what's the one, if i could relive it for you again, you had like five minutes to live and i said you could have one moment with any one of these artists, which one would you go for? >> incredible moment, kanye west in my office rapping his entire album to me just like we're sitting here. right? incredible moment. like the highlight. >> did you know the moment you haired heard it this is going to be huge? >> yes. absolutely. it was like his second album. he had already had some success. so it didn't make me a genius to know it was going to be huge. but it was. a big record. >> and is the kim kardashian move good for his brand or devastating? >> i think it's great for his brand. you know, because he was already one of the greatest if not the
9:53pm
greatest music makers alive and now he's one of the most famous. what's wrong with that? >> let's talk about beyonce quickly. the lip syncing debate. because when i watched her doing the inaugural performance i thought it sounded very perfect. then i heard obviously that she had lip-synced. and i wondered if i cared. because she clearly had done it that week. does it matter? you tell me how prevalent this is. >> no. the truth is it didn't matter. she's great. she's one of the greatest of all time. it was a flawless performance. and it didn't really matter that she had a backing track. because the idea was to give a great performance. right? it wasn't to prove she can sing. i mean, if beyonce still has to prove she can sing after all this time, i mean, come on. give me a break. >> i thought her performance at the super bowl was just spectacular. >> it was. >> although even that, i'm guessing that some of that would have been lip-synced. it had to be, right? >> i would think. but it appeared that it was all live. i don't know for sure because she's really good.
9:54pm
but the idea isn't for her to prove anything. was it amazing is the question. what we should be asking is is it amazing? and it was amazing. >> i couldn't agree more. it's about performing and entertaining. >> absolutely. >> talking about performing and entertaining, i want to play a clip from sharon osbourne's interview with me. >> who? >> i asked her to name the worst judge on television. this is what she said, l.a. >> who is the worst judge on television at the moment? >> oh, dear. oh, that's awful. probably, and i know he's going to kill me, and he's the head of ozzy's record company and i shouldn't say this. by probably l.a. reid. i think he's boring. >> you just ruined ozzy's record deal. >> i know, but he's doing it -- like l.a., get back to the bloody record company and sell some records and stop being a silly judge. >> no good. >> well, wow. >> you are ozzy's record company boss. >> yeah. >> you have it in your power to now fire him in receipt rib yoougs.
9:55pm
>> i wouldn't dare fire ozzy. i wish i had it in my power to fire sharon. honestly, i've never watched her. i'm not even going to kid you. i've never watched her. she's an amazing person. i don't know why she decided to take a jab at me. >> she really did take you down. >> i think she might have wanted my job. i don't know. i think that's what it was. i think she was hoping simon was watching so simon would say, you know, sharon, you're right. you should have this job on "x factor." >> now, you have this glow about you which i recognize because i had the same one. which is that glow that comes about a few hours after you realize you no longer have to take simon cowell's midnight calls. >> that is just mean. >> you're not doing "x factor" anymore. >> yours came at midnight? you're lucky. >> that's when he woke up. >> mine always came at 2:00 a.m. >> but you're coming off "x factor." >> yes. >> why is that? >> you know, i did it. i did it for two seasons, had a great time doing it really. i really admire simon. i love him. but i'd done it. i was done. it was time to move on. that was the first answer. the second one is i do have a
9:56pm
day job. right? and i wasn't doing particularly great at my day job because i was taken. you know, so i'm back to work. >> grammys on sunday. a lot of great talent out there. who's your money on for big award winners? >> without really being specific to categories, i can tell you the songs that really sort of resonated with me. there's fun. >> i was going to say fun. because they were at the inaugural ball. they were sensational. >> yeah. that's the top of the top. >> and for -- >> i love fun. the gotye record "somebody i used to know" is also great. >> and finally thoughts about whitney houston. a year on. last year it was so sad. >> it was very, very sad. it was a long weekend, you know. i love whitney. i spent a lot of time with whitney. i produced songs. whitney and i won grammys together. you know. but this was tough. and it's going to -- you i think because we're at a year, i think it's going to really sort of come down on us all and we're going to realize that it's been a year since she passed, and you
9:57pm
know, it will be some sad moments. >> i agree. very sad. l.a., thanks for coming in. and congratulations on the grammy icon award. quite something. >> yes. kind of crazy. thank you. >> well deserved. good to see you. >> thank you. >> and we'll be right back. hey, our salads. [ bop ] [ bop ] [ bop ] you can do that all you want, i don't like v8 juice. [ male announcer ] how about v8 v-fusion. a full serving of vegetables, a full serving of fruit. but what you taste is the fruit. so even you... could've had a v8. but i'm still stubbed up. [ male announcer ] truth is, nyquil doesn't unstuff your nose. what? [ male announcer ] alka-seltzer plus liquid gels speeds relief to your worst cold symptoms plus has a decongestant for your stuffy nose. thanks. that's the cold truth! [ ship horn blows ] no, no, no! stop! humans. one day we're coming up with the theory of relativity, the next... not so much. but that's okay -- you're covered
9:58pm
with great ideas like optional better car replacement from liberty mutual insurance. total your car and we give you the money to buy one a model year newer. learn about it at libertymutual.com. liberty mutual insurance. responsibility. what's your policy? to tell real people about our new 15 under $15 menu! oh my goodness... oh my gosh, this looks amazing... [ male announcer ] 15 entrees under $15! it's our new maine stays! seafood, chicken, and more! ooh! the tilapia with roasted vegetables. i'm actually looking at the wood grilled chicken with portobello wine sauce. that pork chop was great. no more fast food friday's. we're going to go to red lobster... [ male announcer ] come try our new menu and sea food differently. and introducing 7 lunch choices for just $7.99! salad, sandwiches and more.
9:59pm
email marketing from constant contact reaches people in a place they're checking every day -- their inbox. and it gives you the tools to create custom emails that drive business. it's just one of the ways constant contact can help you grow your small business. sign up for your free trial today at constantcontact.com/try. science and evidence based drug and alcohol treatment center. where your addiction stops and your new life begins. call now.